Stroganoff Casserole

This casserole is caught my eye on my reader awhile ago, and I keep not having a chance to make it! The recipe comes from Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations (she also participated in the recipe swaps!). I finally decided that this sounded perfect for last night's dinner.  I added a little more cheese, and subbed in gluten freee noodles and gravy mix. The result was wonderful! My husband is allergic to mushrooms (BOO!) so I didnt't add any to the pasta. My Dad goes on a trip to Russia each year and recently went to the place that this dish originated and had a chance to eat there- he said it was very good! Hope everyone is having a fantastic week!


Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 bag egg noodles (I used elbow noodles)
1 small onion, chopped
 2 cloves garlic, minced
 1 package dry brown gravy mix mixed with 1 cup cold water (I use gluten free)
1/4 sharp grated sharp cheddar
2/3 cup grated swiss, divided 
 3-4 tbsp light sour cream
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste


 
Instructions
 
Cook noodles, drain, and set aside.
Brown meat and drain.  Add garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes. Saute till meat is cooked completely and onions are soft.
 
Turn off the heat and mix in the cooked noodles
Add the gravy and mix well. Add the cheese (1/4 cup cheddar and 1/3 cup swiss), sour cream, and mix  until everything is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  
Transfer to a baking dish and top with remanining 1/3 cup swiss cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until casserole is bubbly.

Labels: , , , ,