Recipe Swap: Rustic Applesauce

Another recipe swap is upon us! The theme for this month is fruit. The recipes could be marinades, sauces, deserts...the list was endless. I submitted my recipe for Grape Salad and recieve Rustic Applesauce from The Dilettante Gourmand. The recipe has not been posted on the blog yet, but is a favorite. I was excited to try an applesauce recipe, and was pleased at how easy this was to put together (minus the whole apple peeling thing). The applesauce is delicious! My husband and I had it for breakfast and will have more for dinner as a little treat. I reduced the amount of vanilla and lemon because I really wanted the apple flavor to stand out. I also omitted the crème fraîche (2 Tbl stirred in at the end in original recipe) because I didn't have any, and I didn't think it needed it. Thanks for a great recipe! Check out more recipe swaps at Sarah's blog A Taste of Home Cooking.


Ingredients

4 cups cubed peeled Braeburn or Pink Lady apple
4 cups cubed peeled Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt


Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook 25 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat; mash to desired consistency with a fork or potato masher. Serve warm or chilled.

Labels: , , , ,